ADSM-L

Re: IBM support ?

1998-09-17 08:49:27
Subject: Re: IBM support ?
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:49:27 -0400
Christo,

I am not SNA trained but I have seen it work...
I will try to answer a few questions...

Also, you may want to talk with Microsoft SNA Server
support.  They should be able to get the underlying
machines talking to each other.  Once the NT machine
can communicate with the MVS server, the rest gets easier.

See my comments embedded below.  It is the best
I can provide.

Del Hoobler
ADSM Agent Development

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've posted this question a few times on this forum, but
>> no reply.
>>
>> At first I thought the guys from IBM that watch this forum
>> is out of the office but I see a few replies from Andy to
>> some of the questions other people have.
>> All I need info on is:
>>
>> Has anybody configured ADSM to use WinNT across
>> SNA?
>> More to the point - has anyone been able to get it working?

Yes.  The ADSM base client development team did it.

>> Does ANYBODY know what versions of SNA server is
>> supported?

Microsoft SNA Server, Version 3.0.

>> Microsoft SNA server vs IBM Comms server
>> Does anybody know how this config fits together?

I am not sure what you mean by "fits together"...
At the time development was done, Microsoft SNA Server
was the only one ready for development and so that
is the product that is supported currently.
The CPIC interface for IBM Coomunications Server
is the same, so you should be able to get it to work
even though the IBM Communications Server
piece is not "officially" supported.

>> From the readme it is clear that you need an intermediate
>> NT server running the SNA client. How is the options file
>> configured on the server to talk SNA?

It is important here to recognize that the Microsoft
SNA Server acts as a "gateway" to the MVS host.
There is a PU definition between the MVS host and
the Windows NT server running SNA Server.
Any SNA "client" communications must go through the
SNA Server "gateway machine" to get the MVS side.

The steps to get this working should be something like this:
   1. Install SNA Server V3 on the Windows NT Server machine
   2. Set up the correct MVS SNA configuration files
      to make the correct definitions to communicate
      with the Windows NT SNA Server.
   3. Configure SNA Server on Windows NT to communicate
      with the MVS host.
   4. VERIFY that the two machines communicate!
      This is totally outside of any ADSM config
      to this point.  Get the SNA experts on site
      to accomplish the steps above.
   5. After the MVS side is communicating with the
      Windows NT SNA Server, the hard part is done.
   6. Install and configure the SNA "client" on the
      Windows NT machine that the ADSM client is on.
   7. Make sure the ADSM Server is configured to run SNA.
      I think you said this is already working for other clients...
   8. Add the necessary options to the ADSM client
      options file.  These are examples only:
       COMMmethod        SNAlu6.2
       PARtnerluname     ADSMLU     (example only)
       TPname            ADSM       (example only)
       CPICMOdename      LU624K     (example
only)