ADSM-L

Re: ADSM v ARCSERV v BACKUPEXEC

1998-09-17 03:47:54
Subject: Re: ADSM v ARCSERV v BACKUPEXEC
From: Johan Gouws <johang AT HOLLARD.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:47:54 +0200
We have used ARCServe and have moved to ADSM during May 1998. We experienced a
great improvement in performance since then. Our backup window using three
ARCServ backup servers was about 14 hrs. Since ADSM was installed the number of
nodes has increased by about 60% and we back it all up on one ADSM server and
the backup window has decreased to about 10 hours.
I also think that your network transfer rate depends largely on your network
setup and not so much on tuning your ADSM server.
The following is examples of network transfer rates achieved. All servers being
backed up is NT 4.0 with ADSM ver3.1 with ptf4.
On the network side we use a Xylan switch and most clients uses 3c509 3com
cards(10/100) Some of the clients are on 100m ports and some on 10.

EXAMPLE 1.
Total number of objects inspected:  238,509
Total number of objects backed up:    8,835
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:      4,001
Total number of objects failed:           4
Total number of bytes transferred:     3.52 GB
Data transfer time:                  147.95 sec
Network data transfer rate:        24,978.81 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:        485.70 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                   48%
Elapsed processing time:            02:06:49

EXAMPLE 2
Total number of objects inspected:   11,183
Total number of objects backed up:      100
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:   484.28 MB
Data transfer time:                   18.03 sec
Network data transfer rate:        27,496.84 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:        680.53 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                   64%
Elapsed processing time:            00:12:08

On the above two clients I played around with ADSM and network setting and
increased the network transfer rate from about 2.5m/s two the current. The is
an example of the good and the bad. The client below is as when installed
.Haven't had the opportunity to test or change anything on that.

Total number of objects inspected:    7,711
Total number of objects backed up:       43
Total number of objects updated:          1
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          2
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:     9.60 MB
Data transfer time:                  137.35 sec
Network data transfer rate:           71.61 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:         16.14 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                   71%
Elapsed processing time:            00:10:09

I biggest restore up to now was a 23gig SQL database backed up with the SQL
connect agent The restore took me about 4 hours which our DBA's were extremely
happy with.

I have only been working with ADSM since March this year so I don't how much
value the above might have.

Johan Gouws
Hollard Insurance
South Africa
Johang AT hollard.co DOT za
+27 11 240 1386

P.S The one thing I liked about Arcserv was being able to restore just from
tape alone even if your database is lost.