ADSM-L

Re: SunOS error: ANS4510E Error allocating semaphores ??

1998-09-15 04:34:25
Subject: Re: SunOS error: ANS4510E Error allocating semaphores ??
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:34:25 +0200
Regarding dsm and dsmc failing due to semaphores problem,
Thomas A. La Porte <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM> wrote:
> This could be caused by running many non-root dsmc processes at
> once, or by non-root dsmc processes that were terminated
> improperly which have not had there shared memory resources freed
> up by the OS. We have seen this second problem before under
> Irix 6.2. You can use the 'ipcs' command to view information
> about shared memory (inter-process communication). 'ipcs -sa'
> will give full information about all allocated semaphores.

I used the command "ipcs -a" to see allocations, and "ipcrm"
to remove those resources, and now dsm and dsmc work !

I have also found that the problem is due to other non-ADSM
processes allocating shared memory, namely the SAMBA software
for sharing files with Windows PCs (http://samba.anu.edu.au/).
The problem is now:  How can one "tune" the number of
semaphores in the OS ?

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Building 307
Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
E-mail: mailto:Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk