ADSM-L

Re: full status on empty volume

1998-09-11 17:37:58
Subject: Re: full status on empty volume
From: Jim Jepson <jepson AT APPLE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:37:58 -0700
Hi Steven,

I refer to this as a Reclamation bug.  My stacker eats up tapes,
claiming 0% utilized AND they're in a status of FULL.  Also
(occasionally) ADSM vol command shows volumes are zero percent utilized,
yet are marked as full.  ADSM support takes two views on this issue.

1) With Reclamation disabled, the system will occasionally use scratch
volumes as Reclamation space  - showing them zero percent utilized and
making them full.

2) Reclamation disabled and estimate capacity set as 0.0 can result in
the zero percent utilized and volume full issues.

For Example: q vol shows tapes INC073 thru 077 show zero percent
utilized, yet are marked as full:

INC070  8MMAUTOLIB POOL1    8MMAUTOLI BCLASS1   6,775.2 9.5     Full
INC071  8MMAUTOLIB POOL1    8MMAUTOLI BCLASS1   7,139.3 87.4    Full
INC072  8MMAUTOLIB POOL1    8MMAUTOLI BCLASS1   6,760.3 8.2     Full
INC073  8MMAUTOLIB POOL1    8MMAUTOLI BCLASS1   0.0     0.0     Full
INC074  8MMAUTOLIB POOL1    8MMAUTOLI BCLASS1   0.0     0.0     Full
INC075  8MMAUTOLIB POOL1    8MMAUTOLI BCLASS1   0.0     0.0     Full
INC076  8MMAUTOLIB POOL1    8MMAUTOLI BCLASS1   0.0     0.0     Full
INC077  8MMAUTOLIB POOL1    8MMAUTOLI BCLASS1   0.0     0.0     Full
INC078  8MMAUTOLIB POOL1    8MMAUTOLI BCLASS1   6,935.4 97.3    Full

To reclaim the tapes I use a two step process.  ADSM support recommends
you audit each tape, then delete each (verified as empty) tape from the
tape storage pool.  This will set the tape back zreo percent utilized
and empty, with a estimated capascity of 7GB.

First audit the volume. For example:
adsm> audit vol inc077 fix=yes
ANR2311W This command will discard any inventory references to volume INC077
Do you wish to proceed? (Yes/No) yes
ANR2334W Missing or incorrect information detected by AUDIT VOLUME for
volume INC077
information will be created or corrected.
ANS5102I Return code 11.

Then you delete the audited volume. For example:
adsm> del vol inc077
ANR2220W This command will delete volume INC077 from its storage pool after
verifying that the volume contains no data.
Do you wish to proceed? (Yes/No) yes
ANR2208I Volume INC077 deleted from storage pool 8MMAUTOLIBPOOL1.

Do a; q libv and you?ll see the tapes list a proper scratch volumes.

It works for me.   JJ