ADSM-L

Re: ADSM DRM

1998-09-10 00:06:12
Subject: Re: ADSM DRM
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 00:06:12 -0400
I was not involved in the development of the DRM client, but
a couple of good reasons that come immediately to mind are:

1) There are no plans for further development of the ADSM
client for DOS. This reason alone is sufficient for ruling out DOS.

2) OS/2 has its own accompanying version of TCP/IP. The DOS
client requires versions of TCP/IP that are, to the best of my
knowledge, no longer supported.

If you haven't already done so, you might try IBM technical support
for assistance with getting the DRM client to work. Alternatively,
maybe someone on ADSM-L has some advice.

Going the DOS route to do bootable file restores is probably not
advised. The memory constraints and performance alone would probably
cause more frustration than it is worth (besides the issues I
mentioned above). And, as someone else already pointed out, the DOS
client knows nothing about filesystems other than FAT and 8.3 file
names.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

Does anyone know of a reason why ADSM uses OS/2 to do its disk dumps? I
don't see any reason why we could not use dos, and the client. I ask this
question because I cannot get the DRM to work on any of my IBM 7000 servers.
I am also using 3500's and 325's. does anyone have any information on this
subject.??

David Beardsley
Sr. Technical Programmer
Winn Dixie Stores Inc.
WWW.WINNDIXIE.COM <http://WWW.WINNDIXIE.Com>
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgment."