ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Exchange Agent Client backups

1998-09-09 17:32:46
Subject: Re: ADSM Exchange Agent Client backups
From: Chris Zaremba <zaremba AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:32:46 -0400
> The documentation states that if you have circular logging on, the ADSM
> backup product cannot be configured to perform incremental backups, and
> that the only backup option that should be used is a full backup.  The
> documentation is a bit confusing it that it appears that you associate
> circular logging with the Exchange Directory, Private and Public
> information stores.
>
> Our NT application, system and security logs are all configured for
> circular logging.
>
> The Exchange related NT services are not brought down during our tape
> backup application which is Seagate with the Exchange option.  Our
> Exchange implementation is required to be a 7 X 24 operation.
>
> So what do you suggest would be the best configuration using ADSM.
>
> DOES ANYONE OUT THERE USE THE EXCHANGE ADSM AGENT WITH CIRCULAR LOGGING
> ON?  OR HAVE A WAY WHERE THEY TURN IT OFF FOR WHEN THE BACKUPS RUN?

The statement is referring to the Exchange server logs, not the NT system logs.
If your Exchange Server is configured for circular logging (ie. the logs for
the IS and DIR DBs)
then you can only do full db backups.  By default, the Exchange server is
configured
for circular logging at installation and you must change that through the
Exchange admin pgm
to enable incremental and differential backups.

Chris Zaremba
ADSM Agent Development
internet  zaremba AT us.ibm DOT com