ADSM-L

Re: DELETE VOLHISTORY

1998-09-08 14:00:58
Subject: Re: DELETE VOLHISTORY
From: Steve Baucum <Baucums AT METHODISTHEALTH DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:00:58 -0500
Delete volhist today=today-7 type=dbbackup

>>> "Rupp Thomas (Illwerke)" <thomas.rupp AT ILLWERKE.CO DOT AT> 09/05 10:41 AM

Hi ADSM'ers

The DELETE VOLHISTORY command leaves my a bit confused (anyone else?).
Today I did a DELETE VOLHISTORY TODATE=TODAY-7 TYPE=ALL.
I want to get rid of the old DBBACKUP volumes.
In an append some weeks ago I've learned that it is save to delete
TYPE=ALL.
The command now removed all DBBACKUP tapes but also one STGNEW tape
which still has data on it.
The DBBACKUP tapes have been returned to status SCRATCH.
The STGNEW tape still can be seen in a Q VOLUME but no longer in the
Q VOLHISTORY.

Why is a tape volume entered in the volume history when it is created
for
STGNEW and then deleted regardless if there is data on it or not?

I've learned a lot from the discussions on this list.
With the DELETE VOLHISTORY TYPE=ALL I know it does what I want -
but I don't know WHY.

Kind regards
Thomas Rupp
UIS- Informatik Services
MAIL:   thomas.rupp AT illwerke.co DOT at
TEL:    ++43/5574/4991-251
FAX:    ++43/5574/4991-820-8251