ADSM-L

Microsoft Exchange Agent API

1998-09-08 10:41:40
Subject: Microsoft Exchange Agent API
From: Kulbinder Toora <kulbinder.toora AT MEB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:41:40 -0400
Hello folks,

I recently dowloaded the try and buy ADSM Connect Agent for Microsoft Exchange
Server and upon reading through the documentation i learnt that the restore
process is not as tidy a process as you would have hoped.

I am told that another backup utility, CA ARCserve, can do the restore as i had
originally hoped.  That is to restore an individual mailbox to the same
loaction as the original location as opposed to restoring to a new location and
importing to the original location,  still with me??...

Upon learning this i contacted our IBM support and put this question them :

My question is, is there any plans for ADSM connect agent for Microsoft
My question is, is there any plans for ADSM connect agent for Microsoft
Exchange Server to have the same capabilities as the CA ARCserve backup
utility.

I have been told that the ARCserve utility has the capability to backup
individual mailboxes and restore back to the original location doing
away with the need for a second server to restore to.

A quick response would be appreciated.
We currently have ADSM and would like to continue down the same path
rather than introduce something new.

to this i got the following reply : (quite quickly!!!)
to this i got the following reply : (quite quickly!!!)

I think I've figured out what you're referring to.
A customer in the USA (large supermarket chain) has raised the same
request.  From that they say:------------
    Customer is requesting the ability to restore a single
    mailbox within an Information Store without restoring the
    whole Information Store.
    I researched this and found out that the documentation
    says you must restore the whole Information Store on
    another server then export the mailbox to a file and
    import it to your original server.. Customer is wondering
    when this will be changed to a more efficent process.
    ---------
Some research was done and they found that this is currently a
restriction of the Microsoft API:-------
    The reason that the entire information store must be restored and
    the mailbox information exported is due to the Exchange API.  This
    is a Microsoft issue as the API does not offer the capability to
    restore a single mailbox at this time.  ADSM is asking MS for the
    ability to do this, but must work with MS Exchange's API for the
    functionality.
     ----------------------------
 Eventually they have raised a formal request for the ADSM developer's
 to deliver this function. The request's number is REQ00070515.
 I have concurred to this request to explain that we too would like to
 see this enhancement.  The more people who concur to a request, the
 higher up their list of priorities it goes.
 However, as you can see we are currently restricted by Microsoft's
 API. I cannot comment of how ARCserve can do this right now.
 Presumably it does NOT call the Exchange API?

I would like to draw your attention to the following from the above reply :

 I have concurred to this request to explain that we too would like to
 see this enhancement.  The more people who concur to a request, the
 higher up their list of priorities it goes.

If there is any body out there that agrees with me that the method used is not
necessarily the way we would like to see it work then if you too contact your
IBM rep or even your Microsoft rep  maybe we can push things along.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Kuli.

Kulbinder Toora

Midlands Electricity plc.

kulbinder.toora AT meb.co DOT uk

This e-mail (and any attachments) has been checked at MEB
(UK 01384 296191), and has been found to be clean from any
virus infection (using Dr Solomon's and IBM AntiVirus).

If you have any queries about viruses, please contact PC Tech
Support (09 3521) or about the external e-mail system, contact
David Perry (09 3673).