ADSM-L

Re: (U)Symbolic links in archives?

1998-09-07 10:04:56
Subject: Re: (U)Symbolic links in archives?
From: Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 16:04:56 +0200
Hi,
a few of my users had the same problem with the infamous IRIX .desktop
directory and endless loops during archiving. I will try to open a PMR. But
I have a PMR open since August 10th regarding ACSLS support and never got a
call back.

It seems to me that having 2 differents sets of options might be best. But
with archiving it might work with command options as well like with the
subdir option.

I would like to have an option for archiving for archiving the symlinks as
they are and not resolving them to the real file. Especially for program
developers it is often useful to archive a directory structure as is with
all the links in place. This is one of the reasons why tar is so popular.

Best regards
Gerhard