ADSM-L

Re: Deletion of the SQL and Exchange backups...

1998-09-04 09:52:02
Subject: Re: Deletion of the SQL and Exchange backups...
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:52:02 -0400
David,

You are correct.  Old backups are not deleted (expired) as
time goes on when using the current SQL or Exchange Agent.

Many of our customers have written scripts (using Perl or their
favorite scripting language) to query the backups and "delete"
them on some timely interval.

In fact, if you look at the archives to this list, you will find
the actual Perl source code to one solution.  It was graciously
offered by one Exchange Agent customer (thanks Phil Chissell).
Search the ADSM-L archives for "Exchange".  It appears
as an append by me (hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com) on 6/18/98.

On a side note, we do know that this is one of the things that
we need to "fix" in the future.  We are working on it.
Because of the fact that a "backup" may be multiple files,
i.e. multiple ADSM objects (Full DB + transaction logs),
the solution is different than just a file replacement
like the base client.

Thanks.

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler