ADSM-L

last backup date on GUI

1998-09-03 18:43:14
Subject: last backup date on GUI
From: "Keith A. Crabb" <keith AT UH DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 17:43:14 -0500
Does anyone else have users requesting that they be able to see when the
last backup was done on their systems?

The V1 and V2 GUI's use to display that information when you were
selecting drives/filespaces for backup.  With V3 it disappeared and
hasn't made a return yet and that is the complaint we receive the most
here.  While it's true with point-in-time restores in V3, you don't
have to know when the last backup is (from a certain perspective), the
user isn't easily able to tell when the last successful backup was.

While I know they could find the information in a log file on the
system, that's not something I'm going to try and get non-technical
desktop, or for that matter some of our techical people, to do once or
twice a week and while we do have an e-mail based notification system to
help out and remind users, the desktop is still their responsibility.
We have to deal with a lot of restore questions of the "well the file
was there yesterday..." and the user can't tell that the last backup
was the day before yesterday.

--
  Keith A. Crabb          Keith AT UH DOT EDU                 0-
  Keith A. Crabb          Keith AT UH DOT EDU                 0-