ADSM-L

Re: RAID 1 vs RAID 5 for db

1998-09-03 18:08:47
Subject: Re: RAID 1 vs RAID 5 for db
From: Shane <shanesmith AT WESTPAC.COM DOT AU>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:08:47 +1000
Hi,

We use RAID5 on our database - matter of fact we use RAID5 on all our database
and file servers. To get better performance you can put in multiple spindles
and run them across multiple SCSI chains. Also, we ensure that we have a
hot-spare drive configured in the machine so in the event of a single-hard disk
failure the hot-spare will come online.

RAID5 is a little slower than RAID1but we prefer reliability over speed
besides, if it gets a little slow then there is always a faster machine and
faster disks - extra disks and SCIS cards you can put into your machine.

Regards
Shane