ADSM-L

ADSM Exchange Performance

1998-09-02 17:05:30
Subject: ADSM Exchange Performance
From: ADSM <ADSM AT HSCMAIL.MCC.VIRGINIA DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:05:30 -0400
Recently, we have switched  from (Seagate's Backup Exec, 10 MB Network, ADSM
V2 on a MVS Mainframe) to (ADSM Exchange Agent, dedicated full duplex 100 Mb
switched Ethernet for backup, ADSM V3 on a AIX server) and are now getting
backing up ~20 GB data in ~42 Min.  This is nearly 30 GB/Hr. Performing a
restore seems to take exactly twice as long as the backup.  The main thing
that helped our configuration was turning off compression, and then
increasing the buffers to the max for the Exchange agent.

I believe that our implementation has fairly saturated the 100 MB ethernet
pipe.  If I back up the Exchange database at a file level I get slightly
higher results (mid 9 Mbytes per second).

What times are other Exchange Agent users receiving?
Is anyone exploring Gigabit Ethernet or ATM to achieve better results?

Information below on our environment:

From the ADSM Exchange Agent log

09/02/1998 00:30:48,COMMAND LINE : excdsmc /backup:is,full /buffers:8,640
/quiet
09/02/1998 01:12:45,BACKUP(CLC) - Database: IS,Type: 0,Actual bytes:
21,506,786,164,Secs: 2517.18,Kb/Sec: 8543.99,Exchange server: HSCSMTP,ADSM
server: dsm.opt,Status: 21,506,786,164 bytes sent in 2517.18 seconds(8543.99
Kb/sec)

ADSM Server is a RS/6000 7026-H50. It is has 2 CPU's each are 332 MHz.
Memory size is 512 MB.  Machine has two 100mb Ethernet cards in it. There
are two 4.5 GB scsi internal disks in the machine used by AIX. Software used
is  AIX 4.3.1 and  ADSM  3.1.1.5.

ADSM Database and Storage pools are on a IBM 7133-20 SSA disk subsystem.
The SSA subsystem has 11   9.5 GB disk. These disks are connected to two SSA
loops on two SSA cards. One loop of four disks holds the ADSM database,
configured as raid 5. The other loop is used for storage pools and is not
raid5.

The Automated Tape Library is a IBM 3575 with 3 3570-C3 drives. The ATL has
a total of  320 cartridges. We are storing between 8 GB to 12 GB per
cartridge using the tape drive hardware compression feature. Cartridge mount
times are between 20 -30 seconds.

Exchange Server is a Compaq Proliant 7000 with 4 Pentium Pro 200 MHz, 512 MB
Ram, 7 9GB Compaq Hard drives, 1 Compaq Smart 2DH Array Controller
configured in a raid 5 configuration. Exchange 5.5 SP1

Thanks,
Ron Clarke