ADSM-L

SP2 - ESCON to S/390 Performance problems

1998-09-02 14:44:18
Subject: SP2 - ESCON to S/390 Performance problems
From: Denis Hruza <hruzaden AT SHU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 14:44:18 -0400
=SP2 - ESCON to S/390 Performance problems=

We presently have (9) SP2 High-nodes connected via dedicated ESCON to a
9672-r15 S/390 G4.
4 Nodes have dual Notes servers running and the rest have one.
We also have one develpment node with dual Notes servers "idling" for
testing use. All ADSM stats are from the dev. node

All ADSM code is up to date:
3.1.20.5 Client, Admin, Backup/Archive and common files
3.1.1.3 Server - MVS
2.1.0.8 Notes connect Agent for AIX

We seem to be having severe performance problems with backups using both
the Backup/Archive and the Notes ConnectAgent clients to our MVS v3 ADSM
server. Running a backup of 100Mb as either (1) 100MB file or several files
adding up to 100MB our performance is as follows:

100MB - 12 minutes is the best time which is a sad 500MB an hour. This was
up from our 100MB in 33 minutes starting point.
We've switched between our ATM and ESCON and have seen no difference.

Here is a session using dsmc:

Total number of bytes transferred:   98.01 MB
Data transfer time:                 542.57 sec
Network data transfer:             184.98 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer:            179.06 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                  0%
Elapsed processing time:          00:09:20

DSM.SYS on a SP2 node
=======
uselargebuffers          yes
tcpnodelay          yes

TCPBuffersize       32
TCPWindowsize  256
TXNBytelimit        1024

I'm basically on the SP side of things, lacking MVS experience.
But a quick check on the MVS side shows
===
TCP/IP @ PGN of 17  varying between   1-7% of CPU
ADSM   @ PGN of  1  varying between 40-75% of CPU

We basically had this "installed" (holding back a better desciption) with
absolutely no tuning done. If anybody has a similar setup and would like to
share they're tuning experience, it would be appreciated. Several node
backups at this point are not being done.

Denis Hruza
Seton hall University