ADSM-L

ADSM server to server client export / import

1998-09-02 12:01:44
Subject: ADSM server to server client export / import
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:01:44 -0500
     Andy, I ended up answering my own question...

     Just a FYI...

     Say you have two adsm servers that are different platforms, different
     hardware, different 'bout everything except for adsm... You want to
     export the nodes from one and import them on the other BUT they don't
     have the same time of tape drives.

     Here is what you do...

     say two  servers : EXPSRV & IMPSRV  (export server & import server)

     On EXPSRV set up a server definition that points to IMPSRV and a
     device class that is a server and points to IMPSRV

     On IMPSRV register the node EXPSRV as type server
     ALSO set up a server definition that points to itself (IMPSRV) and a
     device class that is a server (itself, IMPSRV)

     Basically the define server and define devclass on IMPSRV are exactly
     the same as they were on EXPSRV.

     On EXPSRV, export the node to your server to server device class...
     thus the data is written to a logical volume over on IMPSRV.

     Now on IMPSRV, import the node, use the device class that is the
     server to server that points back to itself (IMPSRV, and remember you
     are pretending to be EXPSRV via the nodename in the server definition)
     and use the logical vol ser that was created with the export!

     With a little extra policy domain work you can set up an archive
     mgmtclass pointing to an isolated disk pool so everything is really,
     really fast.

     This has been eating at me for weeks... trying to figure out how to
     access that logical volume created by the export by the remote server
     that contains the logical volume.

     Guess I couldn't see the forest for all the trees !

     later,
           Dwight
                 Just trying to save others the headache I just got over