ADSM-L

Re: Server Detected error

1998-09-01 10:29:01
Subject: Re: Server Detected error
From: "Mapes, Mark" <MWM4 AT PGE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 07:29:01 -0700
Dan,

we too get those same errors on some, but not all, of our NT servers.  We
don't get them everyday, in fact we had gone over a week without getting
any, but this morning we got one.  We have tried the latest server patch,
and strongly thinking of applying the latest client code (on our test server
where we have the new client code running, we have never had this error,
which can also be said for over a dozen of our production NT servers).

I am speculating now, but I noticed these errors after the current out-put
tape is filled and a new scratch volume gets added.  I have a relatively
small disk-buffer backup space where most of the backups go and then get
migrated to tape.  I also have large files on these failing NT boxes that
exceed my threshold for disk-backup-pool and so they go directly to tape.
After this error, I have done a "query content" on the new tape just added
to the storage pool and what is resident on that tape are some of the large
files that would be directly backed up to tape.  So, I think there is some
relationship between large files being backed-up directly to tape, but again
I am only speculating.  There was a brief period where we consistently got
these errors on one server, but that problem (mystically?) went away, and
for that server this error has not come back.

Let us know if you find a good answer to this problem.

Mark Mapes
PG&E