ADSM-L

Re: Need Help: AS/400 server with 1 tape drive

1998-08-28 17:05:05
Subject: Re: Need Help: AS/400 server with 1 tape drive
From: Pat Vaughan <pvaughan AT BLUEWARE DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:05:05 -0400
At 09:43 PM 8/25/98 -0400, you wrote:
>As far as I know, V3 is not available on the AS/400 yet but should be coming
>with V4R3 of OS/400 sometime this fall (at least that's what I hear).

I had heard from Supportnet that V3 was the current version of OS/400, but
since when are they right :)

>I have several customers using an AS/400 server with a single tape drive and
>that is the exact scenario I use.  For their initial backup, I get them to
back
>up one server at a time (during the day if network traffic isn't too bad).
>Then schedule the incremental backups at night.  Next day, change the storage
>pool thresholds to force a migration to tape (I'm assuming they do their
AS/400
>backups at night so the tape drive isn't available then) and then change the
>storage thresholds back for the nightly backups.  In the accounts using this
>scenario, it works great!  If you want to chat about this, you can e-mail
me at
>swcombs AT us.ibm DOT com.  I'm always looking for another AS/400-ADSM cohort!!

I've never used ADSM with just a single tape drive...  What do you have to
do to tell ADSM what tape your going to insert?  And, what happens when the
tape is empty enough to be brought back?  With only one drive you can't
really do reclaimation.

I'm setting up this exact scenario at the office to test with...

Thanks :)

  ,`  Patrick Vaughan        Email: pvaughan AT blueware DOT net   ,`
  `,  Systems Engineer       Phone: (616) 779-0224 Ext. 110 `,
  ,`  BlueWare, Inc.         Fax:   (616) 779-1002          ,`
  `,                    IBM CSE-Firewall                    `,