ADSM-L

Re: Netware: viewing backups/requesting restores via namespa

1998-08-28 00:25:45
Subject: Re: Netware: viewing backups/requesting restores via namespa
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:25:45 -0600
Jim Smith wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> >Is using the 8.3 name the only way that a backed up file can be viewed
> >(via 'q backup') or requested for restore (via 'restore')?  That is, if
> >a namespace that supports long filenames is used (Mac, OS/2, Win95?) by
> >a Netware client to create a file which maps into gobbledygook in the
> >native 8.3 namespace, can I view the long name of the file that ADSM has
> >(assume the files was deleted so I can't browse the directory from
> >Win95) or can I request a restore of that file by its long name?
>
> ADSM does not explicitly store the long names; so you cannot use long names in
> conjunction with a query or restore.
>
> >A corollary is, no matter how I restore it, do I always get the file
> >back such that these clients see the proper name?  Or is that limited to
> >restores to the original location?  Does ADSM store the long file name?
>
> The namespace will ensure that the long names get restored, whether the file
> is
> restored to the original or new location.

Forgive my niavette (how do you spell that? :-)...I am not a Netware person, but
how does the 'namespace' know?  I do know that namespaces allow Netware clients
use long names; where does Netware store this?  Is the 'namespace' a database
alongside the filesystem, with entries for each file?  Or is it simply metadata
stored in the directory along with 8.3 names?

I also know that ADSM uses SMS (which I understand to be the Netware storage
management API); does SMS send the long filename as part of the data of a file
when
the file is being backed up (which ADSM then just treats as a bitstream)?  Is
that
how it is able to restore the long filename without ADSM explicitly knowing what
that name is?
Or is it stored in the directory?

I am so concerned because a customer of ours is looking at ADSM as an enterprise
solution, but when their Netware people heard that they can't restore based on
long
names, they started to get nervous.  Currently they are using ARCServe and
apparently they can view long filenames with that.  I understand that the names
themselves do get restored, but I have seen from experience that trying to
restore
a file or directory based on some user's description of the long filename can be
time consuming as you do 'query backup's at each level of the directory
hierarchy
where the directory has a long filename.

I suppose this kinda dovetails with the recent calls for a GUI for Netware,
which I
suppose would have to exist in a client-server form not unlike the webshell
clients
with the client end running on Win95 etc.  Any such client would almost
certainly
need to be able to display long filenames in various namespaces (switchable, or
based on client platform?) to be competative.

I realise that with ARCServe I am competing with a more narrowly defined backup
product that has had the luxury of acquiring all the bells and whistles
specific to
that platform, but you have to understand that anyone pushing an enterprise
solution is going to run into resistance as ADSM goes head-to-head with less
broad
but "best-of-breed" solutions for each platform, and I need ammunition.

Help! (and thanks!)
Bruce...