ADSM-L

How far back does ADSM look for a file?

1998-08-26 16:33:19
Subject: How far back does ADSM look for a file?
From: "Robert A. Burdick" <rburdick AT METLIFE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 16:33:19 -0400
Here's a strange one.
I have copy frequency set to 0. I've been backing up a subdirectory which
hasn't changed since last August. Today, I needed to restore that
subdirectory. ADSM was asking for a very old tape which of course was
off-site. It looks like even though there were files that could have been
restored from newer tapes, it went back to the beginning for the first copy
of the file. I know about the "Fromdate" command line parameter but I'm
quite puzzled by this. Can anyone answer the question "if there are
multiple copys of an identical file and a restore is invoked, which file
will be used?"

I'd like to know <g>

Regards