ADSM-L

read tests

1998-08-26 09:51:16
Subject: read tests
From: Roger Hohmann <roger_hohmann AT WESTLB DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:51:16 +0100
I was asked how I would recognize tapes which will become unreadable
because of their age. I don't expect this problem in the nearer future, but
what if I save a group of files today, make a backup storagepool tomorrow
and the file is never changed or deleted and the affected tapes are never
used. One day in the far future, I want to restore this file, and - tape
and copy tape are defect because of their age (loss of magnetic fields or
so).

Does anyone do any 'read checks' of elder tapes or do I have to make a
'move data' of all tapes which are elder than 5 years?

Regards

Roger Hohmann

WestLB
Division: 009 Services