ADSM-L

Re: Suggestion for ADSM enhancement to reduce the need for collocation

1998-08-23 19:29:33
Subject: Re: Suggestion for ADSM enhancement to reduce the need for collocation
From: Carl Makin <Carl.Makin AT IPAUSTRALIA.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 09:29:33 +1000
Please excuse the stupid Lotus Notes quoting.

We have DLT7000s here in a Stk 9714.  Each tape holds 35Gb raw and the 9714
is only a 100 tape library so it's not really practical for us to run node
based colocation. We do have one node though with 53 15Gb filesystems
(Imaging system).  I've enabled filespace colocation for just those 53
filespaces but limited the tape pool to 26 tapes.  It's my understanding
that ADSM will write the first 26 filespaces to the 26 tapes and then go
back over the tapes writing a second filespace to each tape, and so on.
It's not that much worse than true filespace colocation but the tapes are
better utilised.

I haven't had it running long enough to see exactly what will happen when
the data expires and reclamation starts.  If anyone has done this I'd be
interested in your experiences.

Carl.

Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU> on 22/08/98 08:31:00 am