ADSM-L

Re: Suggestion for ADSM enhancement to reduce the need for collocation

1998-08-22 16:09:08
Subject: Re: Suggestion for ADSM enhancement to reduce the need for collocation
From: Peter Gathercole <peter.gathercole AT VIRGIN DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 21:09:08 +0100
Just a small point to throw in to the melting pot.

How do you measure tape usage. Simple, look at the number of times a volume has
been mounted in the query volume format=detailed output.

Now, if you are running DRM, look at the counts for a tape that has been
through your vault and returned through reclaimation. Arrrrgh.. No information
remains!

ADSM looses track of all usage counts when a volume is deleted from a storage
pool. This happens whenever a reclaimed volume is put back in the scratch pool
(from any pool, not just copypools), and also if a database copy tape is
returned.

I've just had my first 3570 tape report media errors after 6 months of
use-in-anger. And I don't know how many times it has been used. What I am
worried about is the other 199 tapes that were purchased at the same time.
Should I replace them all now!. I'm not sure my employer will take kindly to
#7000+ to replace them all after just 6 months!

I issued a problem for this, and apparantly it will be a DCR, and added in a
future release, but other people really need to know for the type of problem
that is being discussed here.

Peter Gathercole
Open Systems Consultant.