ADSM-L

NT Client V3 PTF5 Warning

1998-08-19 11:39:06
Subject: NT Client V3 PTF5 Warning
From: Pete Tanenhaus <tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:39:06 -0400
<<<The ADSM scheduler service nearly blocks the machine after every scheduled
 <<<<backup session. It consumes 100% of available CPU power and slows down the
 <<<<machine into a state of "impossible to work with". After stopping and
 <<<<restarting the service the problem gets solved temporarily.

 Turn off schedule log pruning. There is a known problem with schedule log
pruning we
 are currently looking into.

<<<< All filespaces get renamed
<<<< A filespace previously labeled "SRV123_D" now gets renamed into
<<<< "\\srv123\c$", the name of the volumelabel is not used any longer.

 As of ptf 5, this is the new naming convention for filespaces. This was done
 to accommodate Universal Name support. The only exception is for removable
 media such as floppy or CD Rom drives where the volume label will continue
 to be used for the filespace name.

<<<< DSMC restore syntax changed
<<<< Following the change in filespace labelling the syntax of most restores
also
<<<< has changed. We saw the great advantage of the new possibility to enter
<<<< national characters (e.g. german umlauts) in the commandline, but have to
<<<< edit all manuals for our storage administrators that are involved into
<<<< restore activity.

 Drive letters or UNC names may now used interchangeably for backup/archive
 operations, and the actual filespace name (see above comment) may now be
 specified for restore/retrieve operations without using {} notation
 (although this notation will still work).

<<<< Problem when expiring files previously backed up using unicode filenames.
<<<< The client runs into an error when trying to expire such files. As a
<<<< consequence all those files remain active until this gets fix

 A known problem we are looking into.

<<<< - DSMSCHED.LOG
<<<< In DSMSCHED.LOG the new client spits out a blank line after every line
<<<< written. This is not a very hard error but the logfile doesn't really get
<<<< more readable...

A known problem which will be fixed soon.

Pete Tanenhaus, ADSM NT Client Development

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on 08/19/98
9/98
11:09 AM ---------------------------

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 08/19/98 04:01:05 AM
Yesterday I downloaded the new V3 Client for NT (PTF5)...

We're glad not having installed the code on any server with heavy production
load as it caused lots of problems on the test machine:

[...]

consequence all those files remain active until this gets fixed or you
create a new filespace and delete the old one.

Errormessage from odbc
After having installed the new PTF an alert box appears stating an Error.
There seems to be a problem with odbc support files. We didn't do any
further investigation on this.
Problem when expiring files previously backed up using unicode filenames.
The client runs into an error when trying to expire such files. As a
consequence all those files remain active until this gets fix

I think the developers should sit down again and do some work to get the
fixes fixed before the client gets usable,

Regards,
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl