ADSM-L

Re: Restore OS disk on a sys w/ HSM V2 (was Re: replace OS disk)

1998-08-19 08:20:57
Subject: Re: Restore OS disk on a sys w/ HSM V2 (was Re: replace OS disk)
From: Michael Abel <Michael.Abel AT RESNOVA DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:20:57 +0200
Andreas,

THERE ARE some problems one has to expect restoring a mksysb:

(1) if you are loosing your non-rootvg information an importvg should do
the job. importvg keeps the LV names (since those are stored on the disks)
as long as there are no conflicts with already existing LVs during import.
Also /etc/filesystems gets updated. Just do a "mount all" after importvg
and everything should be ok.

(2) network settings: in most cases those are preserved. Do you - by chance
have two(2) NICs in your box? Since restoring an mksysb means installing
AIX from scratch adapters may be identified in "wrong" sequence, i.e. tok0
may become tok1 etc. which then may lead into the situation you described

(3) it is a very good idea to keep some configuration information besides
your normal backups. We use shellscripts for collecting almost every
information about AIX and store it - depending on customer requirements -
as ASCII files, in Databases or as printouts. A very simple way is to use
the snap command. Or have a look at the restvg/savevg scripts.

Mit freundlichem Gruss/Best Regards

Michael Abel
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert
res nova Unternehmensberatung GmbH
                   ...aktiv in AIX
MAIL:  Ruppmannstrasse 41
       D-70565 Stuttgart, Germany
FON:   +49 711 78888 0
FAX:   +49 711 78888 99
WWW:   http://www.resnova.de
EMAIL: Michael.Abel AT resnova DOT de

Andreas Landhaeusser <Andreas.Landhaeusser AT DLR DOT DE> on 19.08.98 13:58:43