ADSM-L

Restoring socket files.

1998-08-18 13:39:23
Subject: Restoring socket files.
From: BRIAN ROWAN <BRIAN.ROWAN AT SPCORP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 13:39:23 -0400
     Hopefully someone has an answer, if not this make me feel better by
     venting to the list.

     Client OS: Digital Unix
     Client Version: 3.1.0.5
     Server OS: Windows NT
     Server Version: 3.1.1.3

     The latest PTF 5 still gets an Internal error mknod errno=22 when
     trying to restore a socket file. According to my errno.h file 22 means
     invalid argument. Since the error bombs the entire restore you either
     have to exclude all socket files from backup or restore. My man page
     on mknod says that it can't make socket files in the first place so
     that is the major problem. The socket subsystem makes socket files on
     the fly as needed. With this in mind there is no reason to have to
     ever restore them so there is no reason to back them up. I have
     included all the known socket files that I know of in my exclude file
     but as I said earlier, the socket subsystem can create these files on
     demand so I would have to run a find command every time right before
     backup to make sure that none are backed up. PTF 5 readme specifically
     says that it took care of the problem with restoring socket files
     which is obviously non-tested. It would be nine to be able to believe
     the release notes.

     I have never seen the source code, but wouldn't a simple solution be
     to have the backup check to see if it's a socket file and to
     automatically exclude it from the backup?

     seems like it might be a simple if then statement.

     Brian Rowan
     Digital Consultant for Compaq Services