ADSM-L

Re: BACKINT vs SQL Backtrack

1998-08-11 19:00:13
Subject: Re: BACKINT vs SQL Backtrack
From: Andrew Swift <Andrew.Swift AT CENTRAL.COLESMYER.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:00:13 +1000
We're running ADSM 3.1.1.3, on an SP wide node, and backing up a number of
SAP Oracle databases
on different systems (including 1 HA cluster on S70) via ATM, using backint.

The ADSM server has approx 40GB of SCSI disk pool and we get approx 130GB
backed up in
about 1 hour 50 minutes. ATM will give us approx 15MB/sec.
**under test conditions, the maximum throughput for a single database (55GB
size) was 70GB/hour.
The compression ration is 3.5 to 4, so it all fits on the disk pool
We've had no problems, and recovery tests have been trouble free. The
backups have also been
used for cloning to prepare new environments.

I personally find the backup and restore via ADSM/BACKINT to be excellent
(but my only other point of
reference for SAP/BACKINT is omniback), and FAST !
Have not used SQL BackTrack, so I cannot comment on that one.

Regards,
Andrew Swift