ADSM-L

Re: BACKINT vs SQL Backtrack

1998-08-11 13:25:14
Subject: Re: BACKINT vs SQL Backtrack
From: "Lane, Debbie" <Debbie.Lane AT INTERMEC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:25:14 -0700
The HACMP box is an RS/6000 S70 (client to ADSM).  The SAP DB estimated
size (we havn't gone live yet) on this machine is 100GB.  We also have
six H50(s), and two R30(s)  with DB estimated at 25 to 50 GB each.  They
all have SAP R/3 with Oracle 7.3.3.
Our ADSM Server is an RS/6000 Model 59H.  Tape is IBM(s) Magstar 3494
lib with 3590 tape drives.
Below is an e-mail from our BMC salesperson regarding the certification
issue.  A beta release of SQL BT for SAP is suppose to be out FALL98.
     We are working closely with SAP on the new SQL-BT for SAP release
and
     expect to have certification.  In the past, SAP did not have a
     certification program for backup and recovery products.
Consequently
     we were placed in the SAP Complimentary Software Program Directory.

     This is their 3rd party partnership program.  It is further
explained
     in the email below:

     ----------------------- BEGIN SAP EMAIL -------------------------
     SAP's interface certification is foremost a program to make sure
that
     our customers receive quality interfaces, that help them to install
     our partner's software within hours or days. Therefore,
certification
     of an interface is always certification against an SAP interface,
in
     your case the Oracle Backint interface for R/3, or certification is
     not possible to happen.

       This does not mean that products not certified are not
high-quality
     products. In some areas, the SAP interface simply did not fit to
     the product. This seems to be the case with your product, when your
     engineers tell you that your product already provides the functions
     you may find in our interface.

       You might be interested in hearing that we plan to enhance our
CSP
     partner program by offering a more marketing oriented partnership.
     Please look on our web pages regarding complementary software
     in 3Q97, when we plan to announce this new type of partnership.

     Dr. Martin Hofmann
     SAP AG
     Director CSP Europe

     Similarly, with Oracle we are members of their Business Alliance
     Partnership (BAP) and Systems Management Tools Initiative (SMITI).
We
     received an award from the Oracle Journal for Best New Product
1996.
     We were in the beta program for Oracle8.

     Hope this helps.