ADSM-L

Re: NT User Registrey backup and resrore

1998-08-10 04:28:37
Subject: Re: NT User Registrey backup and resrore
From: Bruno Friess <bfriess AT DE.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:28:37 +0000
> Thank you for your reply.  I did what you suggested.  When I tried to run
> regback entire, I got an error message indicating that the system could not
> access the SOFTWARE key.  I rebooted the system, retried, and everything
> worked fine.  Go figure.........NT.

> Anyway, just for my own sanity, please confirm a couple thing for me.
> -Incremental backups scheduled via the ADSM Central Scheduler running as the
> SYSTEM, backup the entire registry........right?
Yes, when you install the ADSM Schedule service as a system account, then this
scheduled session will backup the entire registry.

> -In an earlier message on this thread, Jerry Lawson recommended creating an
> REGBACK.BAT that invokes a REGBACK USER CURUSER via the system STARTUP
> folder.  Is this necessary?
It depends on what you want to do. If you want a backup of the entire registry,
then you should use the way described above. The addition of a backup of a
single user is necessary if you want to restore the profile settings of this
user (if he is logged on during the backup !!!), after a restore of the entire
registry. (This can also be done, by copying the files from the adsm.sys
directory to the correct place in the profiles directory - this way is
described in the Redbook).
If nobody is logged on, during a backup of the NT system, then you don't need
the REGBACK USER CURUSER.

> -He also recommends powering off the machine instead of doing a SHUTDOWN.
> Is this necessary?
After a restore of the entire registry, in some cases it is better to power off
the machine. The reason is, that when you shutdown the NT system, then NT
writes maybe some data into the registry. If you have restored the entire
registry and afterwards NT writes into this 'unknown' registry, then this can
cause some problems.
But if the changes between the original registry and the registry which you
have restored are not too big, then there is no need for this 'dirty' method.
Then you can shut down and restart the system as usual.

Best Regards / Freundliche Gruesse / Amicalement
Bruno Friess

Advanced Technical Support  ADSM