ADSM-L

Re: Backup Storage pool question.

1998-08-08 18:48:41
Subject: Re: Backup Storage pool question.
From: Peter Gathercole <peter.gathercole AT VIRGIN DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 23:48:41 +0100
1. Backup stgpool picks up exactly where it left off. If there are still
mountable tapes in the backup storage pool, they will be used until they are
full. Each time a backup stgpool is executed, and completes, the result is
that the copy pool contains all the data from the primary.
2. The DRMedia listings are complete. The tapes marked "Mountable" should
ALL go offsite after every backup. Any tapes that are still in the library
when a disaster happens would contain some of your backup data, and would be
lost!. To move the tapes from the library, you use move drmedia *
wherestate=mountable. If your library handles multiple ejects, then all
tapes to be removed will be moved to the I/O area. If you have a 3575 (like
me) or any other library with a single I/O slot, then you have to run a
"move drmedia volnum wherestate=mountable" for each volume marked mountable.

I will re-iterate the thine about any mountable tape. Even if a tape in the
copy storcge pool is NOT FULL, it still holds valuable data, that probably
is not offsite. All mountable tapes should be removed.

To prevent all your scratch tapes from moving offsite, you must have
reclaimation turned on for your offsite pool. I use 50% reclaimation. When a
copy pool tape drops below this use, ADSM will write the data onto a new
tape, and ask for the old tape to be returned (state=vault retrieve). In
this way, offsite tapes are kept fairly full.

3. I have it automated on AIX, but I have had to write several shell scripts
to work around the problem of only a single useable I/O slot on a 3575 L24.
Unfortunatly, the conditions attached to my contract do not allow me to post
the scripts, but I can give you pointers if you ask.