ADSM-L

Re: Help me! Restore NT files to unix.

1998-08-06 23:54:34
Subject: Re: Help me! Restore NT files to unix.
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 21:54:34 -0600
Ack!

You make it sound like we are hiding something from you!  The developers
never intended to do cross-platform restores between such different
filesystems, so the code for one client was not designed to handle the
structure another uses.

ADSM uses 4 names to identify a file:
1) Node name - arbitrary
2) Filespace name - on UNIX, a valid filesystem mount point, i.e. it
must start with a '/', on NT a vaild drive label.
3) High-level qualifier/name - on UNIX, the part of the path below the
filesystem up to the directory in which the file resides, on NT the part
of the path from the root of a drive down to the directory the file is
in.
4) Low-level qualifier/name - the name of the file

On my win95 machine I was not able to relabel a drive to have a '/' in
the lead character - it was illegal.  However, on the ADSM server I was
able to rename my FAT32 filespace name to '/foo'.  With that renamed
filespace, I was able on win95 to do a 'query backup {/foo}\*' and show
the top level directory.

However, in spite of using having a valid UNIX mount point for a
filespace name, I could not successfully query from AIX about the win95
files.  I suspect that it has to do with the directory separator for
UNIX being '/' and for NT being '\'.  I am not surprised.  I am not sure
why you are.

Cheers...