ADSM-L

Re: Mac V3 V2 diff: Icon desktop position change=file backup

1998-08-05 16:56:21
Subject: Re: Mac V3 V2 diff: Icon desktop position change=file backup
From: Eric LEWIS <eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 14:56:21 -0600
     I just sent the following note.  After closer review of the client
     references the customer says:

     In the Mac client V3 manual, Chapter 3, page 13, it says:
     "Simply moving an icon makes the file appear changed.  ADSM records
     the change in icon position to minimize the problem of multiple icons
     occupying the same space after the files are restored."
     "If only the attributes of a file or folder have changed, and not the
     data, only the attributes are backed up.  You may have multiple
     versions of the same file with the only difference between them being
     the icon position or color."
     The Mac V2 client manual does make a similar statement, on page 18.

     So this does NOT appear to be a difference in versions.  Sorry for the
     error.  However, the customer felt that the amount of data reported
     backed up in the log (V2) appeared to equal the size of the file.  Is
     the total file size reported or only the size of the directory entry?

     "A Mac V2 client customer noted that the Version 3 Mac client
     reference says that moving the desktop position of an icon causes the
     icon file to be backed up but does not cause the file referenced by
     the icon to be backed up.  His observation is that the Mac 2 client
     does backup files referenced by icons whose desktop positions are
     changed.  I confess that I have not read the documentation distributed
     with the Ver 3 Mac client.  Is this a difference in the behavior of
     the V3 and V2 clients?  Thanks for your help.

     Eric Lewis eric.lewis AT doit.wisc DOT edu"