ADSM-L

Re: ADSM loosing track of mountpoints

1998-08-05 10:38:08
Subject: Re: ADSM loosing track of mountpoints
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:38:08 -0500
     If it is the mount limit internal counter getting out of whack you
     should be able to set the mount limit on the device class up by a few
     to correct this problem UNTIL YOU CAN BOUNCE ADSM...

     just MHO but if I were doing lots of critical tape activity I'd have
     more than the minimum number of tape drives on the system...

     If you only have two and one goes down... there goes your ability to
     do your tape to tape copy pool work, your reclamation work, your
     ability to migrate a diskpool to a tapepool and
     recall/retrieve/restore any data at the same time.  (and that adsm
     database backup)

     Now I have one (and only one) environment with only two tape drives.
     Even with both of them working if someone is doing restore/retrieve
     work I :
     1) can't do reclamation
     2) can't do my data base backup
     3) cuts my migration of disk to tape in half thus migrations don't
     really finish prior to the next wave of backups

     now toss a tape drive failure in the above situation

     That was our very first ADSM environment from way back... I had
     nothing to do with the hardware selection on that one and I don't even
     remember who did... they might not even be here anymore... (gulp!)

     4 has become a pretty standard base number of tape drives in an adsm
     environment here at Amoco but some servers have up to 8.

Author:  evanloon (evanloon AT klm DOT nl) at unix,mime
Date:    8/5/98 8:56 AM

Hi Steve!
Both drives were online...