ADSM-L

Re: Backup of 7.5GB Exchange Database Failing

1998-08-04 12:39:26
Subject: Re: Backup of 7.5GB Exchange Database Failing
From: "Fackler, Dave" <Dave.Fackler AT SEA.SIEMENS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 12:39:26 -0400
> Dave,

> How do you have your tape storage pool defined?  Are all tapes predefined
> and checked in to the pool or do you have let the server grab tapes from a
> scratch pool when needed?  Can you append the output of a Q stg f=d
> admin cmd?

> Also, what specific level of the ADSM V2 server are you running (2.1.??)

> Chris Zaremba
> ADSM Agent Development
> internet  zaremba AT us.ibm DOT com

Chris,

Here's what my disk-based storage pool looks like (note that the version of
ADSM is 2.1.0.6):

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Administrative Interface - Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.6
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1996, All Rights Reserved.

ANS5100I Session established with server ADSM: MVS
ANS5101I Server command: 'query stgpool sp0bd_irfsin f=d'

               Storage Pool Name: SP0BD_IRFSIN
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: DISK
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 5,006.2
                           %Util: 99.8
                           %Migr: 99.8
                       High Mig%: 85
                        Low Mig%: 75
             Migration Processes: 1
               Next Storage Pool: IR0_SERVER_POOL
          Maximum Size Threshold: 50 M
                          Access: Read/Write
                                  to disk
           Cache Migrated Files?: No
                      Collocate?:
           Reclamation Threshold:
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed:
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse:
          Migration in Progress?: Yes
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 2
        Reclamation in Progress?:
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): IR11215
           Last Update Date/Time: 08/03/1998 18:30:02

ANS5103I Highest return code was 0.

And here's what my tape-based storage pool looks like:

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Administrative Interface - Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.6
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1996, All Rights Reserved.

ANS5100I Session established with server ADSM: MVS
ANS5101I Server command: 'query stgpool ir0_server_pool f=d'

               Storage Pool Name: IR0_SERVER_POOL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: TAPE
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 528,000.1
                           %Util: 66.9
                           %Migr: 100.0
                       High Mig%: 90
                        Low Mig%: 70
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
                                  servers
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: Yes
           Reclamation Threshold: 80
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 500
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 0 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): IR11201
           Last Update Date/Time: 07/30/1998 10:55:07

ANS5103I Highest return code was 0.

Now, I also ran a "query occupancy" command for two of my Exchange servers.
The output for the first (which is successfully backing up both the
Directory and Information Store databases) is as follows:

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Administrative Interface - Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.6
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1996, All Rights Reserved.

ANS5100I Session established with server ADSM: MVS
ANS5101I Server command: 'query occupancy ir0ex03'

Node Name     Type  Filespace    Storage      Number of       Space
                    Name         Pool Name        Files    Occupied
                                                               (MB)
------------  ----  -----------  -----------  ---------  ----------
IR0EX03       Bkup  SIEMENS      IR0_SERVER-          1       35.17
IR0EX03       Bkup  SIEMENS      IR0_SERVER-          1       35.17
                     ENERGY &     _POOL
                     AUTOMATIO-
                     N.SEACORP-
                     .IRMS03.D-
                     IR
IR0EX03       Bkup  SIEMENS      SP0BD_IRFS-          3        0.24
                     ENERGY &     IN
                     AUTOMATIO-
                     N.SEACORP-
                     .IRMS03.D-
                     IR
IR0EX03       Bkup  SIEMENS      IR0_SERVER-          3      252.69
                     ENERGY &     _POOL
                     AUTOMATIO-
                     N.SEACORP-
                     .IRMS03.IS
IR0EX03       Bkup  SIEMENS      SP0BD_IRFS-          2       18.33
                     ENERGY &     IN
                     AUTOMATIO-
                     N.SEACORP-
                     .IRMS03.IS

ANS5103I Highest return code was 0.

The output of the second (which is backing up the Directory database but not
the Information Store database, which is 7.5GB in size) is as follows:

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Administrative Interface - Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.6
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1996, All Rights Reserved.

ANS5100I Session established with server ADSM: MVS
ANS5101I Server command: 'query occupancy ir0ex02'

Node Name     Type  Filespace    Storage      Number of       Space
                    Name         Pool Name        Files    Occupied
                                                               (MB)
------------  ----  -----------  -----------  ---------  ----------
IR0EX02       Bkup  SIEMENS      IR0_SERVER-          1       35.27
IR0EX02       Bkup  SIEMENS      IR0_SERVER-          1       35.27
                     ENERGY &     _POOL
                     AUTOMATIO-
                     N.SEACORP-
                     .IRMS02.D-
                     IR
IR0EX02       Bkup  SIEMENS      SP0BD_IRFS-          3        5.54
                     ENERGY &     IN
                     AUTOMATIO-
                     N.SEACORP-
                     .IRMS02.D-
                     IR

ANS5103I Highest return code was 0.

Hope all this helps!  Let me know if you guys need any more query outputs!

Dave F.