ADSM-L

Re: Restore of UNIX systems

1998-08-04 10:37:27
Subject: Re: Restore of UNIX systems
From: Geoff Allen <geoff AT WSU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 07:37:27 -0700
Karen Krowzack <Karen.M.Krowzack AT UCM DOT COM> writes:

> I understand that there is no "bare metal restore" capability for UNIX
> systems.  However, if a major filesystem(s) or disk is lost, is ADSM capable
> of restoring a filesystem onto a replacement disk that you hook up to a 2nd
> server?  If so, how do you tell ADSM to direct the restoration of the
> filesystem(s) solely to that replacement disk?
>
> Or is the only restore procedure in use the process whereby you boot from
> bootable media, restore the major OS filesystems from tape and then restore
> whatever else is desired from ADSM?

We currently use the latter approach. We run "disaster recovery"
backups monthly (from cron). These document system configuration, and
copy /, /usr, and /var to another host on the network. The theory is
that in a disaster, we can rebuild the system, load /, /usr, and /var,
then hook up to ADSM to restore everything else.

For extra paranoia protection, we offsite the month-old "disaster
recovery backups" (where "offsite" is still on campus, but in another
part of campus; if a meteor wipes out the campus, we have bigger
worries than whether we can restore data ;^) ).

The procedures have been tested, and they work!

Geoff

--
Geoff Allen, geoff AT wsu DOT edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>
Geoff Allen, geoff AT wsu DOT edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.  (Author unknown)