ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Database as raw device faster?

1998-07-28 15:21:03
Subject: Re: ADSM Database as raw device faster?
From: Steffan Rhoads <arhoads AT PACBELL DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:21:03 -0700
Dwight Cook wrote:

>      In the past even IBM experts were split, I can't say how they feel now
>
>      What we've done is put the DB & LOG files under JFS and made all the
>      diskpool storage raw.

Raw vs JFS is an interesting issue.  Up until now I've gone RAW (on everything)
since it is quicker to setup and is higher performance.  Now however I have been
informed that database corruption can occur if a second server instance is
started
(no mention of storage pool space but it would appear to be subject to the same
problem).

Furthermore, according to an internal but third party source, AIX RAW device
code is
not being improved while JFS performance is.
Now I'm leaning toward JFS

>      ALSO went to great lengths to put the volumes that contain a db or log
>      file as the first disk out a port (SSA) and that the db copies and log
>      copies were on a different card

If you only have one SSA initiator the highest activity usage should be at the
mid-point of the loop; presumably this gives the router equally good paths to
the
data.  With multiple initiators (interface cards) I'd place the highest activity
usage at the mid-points between the two initiators.

--
Steffan Rhoads
Steffan Rhoads