ADSM-L

Re: RS6000 SERVER HARDWARE

1998-07-24 14:12:38
Subject: Re: RS6000 SERVER HARDWARE
From: Keenan D Stratton <stratkee AT GTI DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:12:38 -0400
You'll need to gather the following info:
1. The number of files and database servers to backup
2. How much data is on your client machines
3. What data will you be backing up
4. How many versions will you be keeping
5. What percentage of data changes on a daily basis

There are additional formulas to use to calculate the ADSM db and storage
pool sizes:
Estimating Tape Pool
one backup version + (number of daily incoming X (number of versions over
time -1) X space for reclamation

Estimating ADSM intermediate disk storage
number of clients X amount of backup data

Estimating Size of ADSM database
files per client X number of clients X 500 bytes

As for performance, estimate how many GB's/hour you'll need to push through
your system based on the business requirements then work on sizing your
hardware.  Remember, your first bottle neck will be most likely Tape
subsystem I/O.  Network and CPU speeds are also very important factors.
Also, keep in mind your DR requirements. (i.e. Can you restore your 20+
systems using just 2 DLT tape drives, in an exceptable amount of time?)

Keenan D. Stratton
Technical Analyst
ISI, Mars Inc.
E-mail: Keenan AT Webname DOT com