ADSM-L

Re: Destroyed volume label on DDS2 volume

1998-07-23 11:41:08
Subject: Re: Destroyed volume label on DDS2 volume
From: Craig Bell <rcbell AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:41:08 -0400
A DFHSM-written 3490 is a far cry from a DDS2!   I am aware that IBM
tape drives have the capability to read past EOD, but ADSM will/can
not do that on the fly.   A utility that will continue issuing read commands
once EOD is detected must be used to copy the data to another tape
that is prelabelled and correctly positioned.  It would also include having to
create pad-records to so that write the old data is correctly positioned.
 It's not trivial.

I'm know for a fact that 8mm, 4mm, QIC, and DLT cartridges can NOT
read old data on an over-written tape.

Craig Bell

--------------------- previous appends follow --------------------
As it was predicted EOD mark has been written on the volume during
As it was predicted EOD mark has been written on the volume during
labeling. AUDIT VOL reported all files as irretrievable.

Craig and others,
Relabeling a tape  is an old technique that could be used to salvage data
on
DFHSM tapes after they had been inadvertently relabeled.  I am pretty
confident that I used this same technique with earlier versions of ADSM to
successfully salvage data on a  tape (on an MVS server).  It has been a
while since then, but  I was not aware that anything had changed.  It would
be interesting to know if different operating systems and/or tape drives
handle tape marks differently. The utility may make a tape mark and ADSM
may
be able to read past it since it "knows" where its data is on the tape.  If
what you have said is accurate, the damage has already been done and
relabeling the tape will not result in any additional data loss, so it
still
may be worth a try. Thank you for keeping me "honest".
DanC