ADSM-L

My frustrations !

1998-07-22 15:25:44
Subject: My frustrations !
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:25:44 -0500
     AAARRRGGGHHHhhhhhh

     OK, I'm almost mad over this...

     I set up server to server communications so I can move clients from
     one machine to another easily.

     To speed the operation I set the archive management class on the
     receiving server to a disk pool.

     I export the node using the remote adsm server device class

     I go to import the node on the remote adsm server and I MAY NOT
     SPECIFY "DISK" FOR A DEVICE CLASS IN CONJUNCTION WITH AN IMPORT.

     So now I have to migrate the data to tape, then pull it back off of
     tape during the import...

     If I'll even be able to perform the import !

     ? ? ? Will I use "volume=the_volume_migrated_to" ? ? ?

     ? ? ? Will I use "vol=file:clients_name_for_file_/_virtual_volser" ? ?

     ? If I turn on cache, migrate the export to tape, issue the import
     (pointed to tape)... will the server read the cached copy from disk ?

     ? if I define the server as a server to itself (to try to leave the
     data on disk and be able to specify a device class other than disk
     with the import but have it really be disk via a remote server
     definition to itself), since the only commmethod supported is tcpip,
     will it send all the data back out over the network back to itself ?

     OH, I'm doing this because I'm moving MVS-ADSM clients over to an
     AIX-ADSM server and the only 3590's on MVS are in a VTS box and there
     are no 3490's in our aix adsm environments.