ADSM-L

Re: Destroyed volume label on DDS2 volume

1998-07-22 11:53:34
Subject: Re: Destroyed volume label on DDS2 volume
From: Craig Bell <rcbell AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 11:53:34 -0400
> One technique that you may want to try is to label the volume again with the
>same volume name using the dsmlabel utility.  Since ADSM only writes the
>label and does not format the tape volume, any data that is still on the
>tape should become available.  I would suggest that you run an AUDIT VOLUME
>against the volume to clean up any data that may have been overwritten in
>the original mishap.  On you other issue, you can update the original volume
>to READONLY status, which will still allow you read the data on the tape,
>but will also force migration to use a new tape.  Please let me know if this
>approach was successful.

This technique would only work on R/W Optical devices.  On ALL Tapes, when you
write data, the drive applies an EndOfData mark following the last write, and
all data
following that is Gone.  So this data was lost when the operator caused the
overwrite
at the beginning.  Re-labelling in this case would be superfluous, and by
itself would
destroy the whole tape if an otherwise good tape were to be relabelled.

Craig