ADSM-L

Re: long delays between updating stg pool for reclamation and pro cess start

1998-07-21 19:14:15
Subject: Re: long delays between updating stg pool for reclamation and pro cess start
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:14:15 +1000
Hi Sheelagh,

I hadn't noticed it before your message, but we see the same thing. We
run reclaimation for our offsite pool overnight on Sundays from 4pm.
Last Sunday we didn't see the first ANR1040I message until 17:25 (but
there were 8 messages, for different volumes, generated at the same
time).

I am assuming that the reclaimation process will actually start at the
time the UPDATE STGPOOL command is issues, but it has a lot of work to
do before it can actually start moving data. Unlike on-site volumes,
reclaimation off off-site copypool volumes doesn't read the actual
volumes (obviously) but reads the "original" copy of the files from
on-site volumes. For efficiencies sake, it will read all files that it
needs from one on-site volume before moving onto the next. So it needs
to sort the list of files that are on the off-site volumes to be
reclaimed before it does any tape mounts.

Are you seeing a different in behaviour now then when you were running
an earlier version of the server?

regards,

Trevor