ADSM-L

Re: Other UNIX Backup Products

1998-07-21 11:43:54
Subject: Re: Other UNIX Backup Products
From: Geoff Allen <geoff AT WSU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:43:54 -0700
"Moir,Betsy" <betsy.moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM> writes:

> I was wondering if any of you more open-minded UNIX administrators could
> share your experiences with other UNIX backup products and your reasons for
> choosing ADSM.

Our group used Legato Networker before ADSM, and had a lot of problems
with offsite copies, which routinely failed. The other problem was
length of time for backups (we have some big filesystems), and the
scheduling problems that imposed.

In previous jobs, I've used HP's Onmiback, and a freeware solution
called "OSU Backup" (from Ohio State University, and which has since
had very little development, most people going the free route are
using AMANDA <http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/amanda/index.html>

Once you manage to get your brain around ADSM's backup paradigm (which
is different from every other product out there), it works quite
well. We've been happy with it.

Geoff

--
Geoff Allen, geoff AT wsu DOT edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>
Geoff Allen, geoff AT wsu DOT edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>

Time makes more converts than reason.  -- Thomas Paine