ADSM-L

Re: Controlled migration

1998-07-17 12:35:21
Subject: Re: Controlled migration
From: Roger Hohmann <roger_hohmann AT WESTLB DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 17:35:21 +0100
Thankx very much for your responses, but: my problem seems to be little
challenging:

In our shop ADSM is backing up 50 - 100 Gig per night (not examining,
backing up!) using 12 Gig disk pool, and I noticed round 15 migration
processes moving 35-70 Gig of data (some mgmtcls are direct to tape) the
whole day. We can get some more disk space, but never up to 100 Gig. I'm
afraid I run into bottlenecks when multiple clients are backing up the same
time ADSM is migrating disk pool (like last night) and all slows down. So I
have to control migrating data at night, while backups are running. With
upd stgp HI=1 I expect high degradation on running backups while migration
is on. Due to these conditions, I would like to test "move data dest=tape"
for migration purposes at night, did anyone try this before?

Regards
Roger

>We are using adsm v.3 with disk and tape storage pool. When our disk pool
is nearly at high threshold and multiple backup schedules are starting, our
disk pool likes to overflow >because the migration processes can't move the
data as fast as needed to tape. The backup and migration processes are
interfering, backup becomes sloooow.

>I would like to empty my disk pools before backup starts. May I switch hi
threshold to 0 to start migration and then switch back or should I use
"move data"? Does anyone know? Any >other ideas?