ADSM-L

Other UNIX Backup Products

1998-07-17 09:47:02
Subject: Other UNIX Backup Products
From: "Moir,Betsy" <betsy.moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:47:02 -0500
A while back there was a thread on this list where Netware administrators
were comparing Arcserve as a backup product vs. ADSM.  This was very useful
information to me as whenever I was in a meeting with our Netware
administrators who are, how shall I say it.......Arcserve-biased......., I
couldn't address their arguments because I had no experience with Arcserve.

I was wondering if any of you more open-minded UNIX administrators could
share your experiences with other UNIX backup products and your reasons for
choosing ADSM.  I'm attending a meeting next Tuesday with a group of UNIX
administrators and managers to discuss why they should get rid of their other
UNIX backup products (no, I don't know what they are, but I do know there are
several of them) and start using ADSM, and I'd like to have as much
first-hand knowledge as possible before I walk in there.  Among their
concerns is the backing up very, very large databases in a timely fashion.

Thank you for your time and your knowledge.