ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Database Cache

1998-07-17 04:58:37
Subject: Re: ADSM Database Cache
From: Dominic Froud <d.froud AT ELSEVIER.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:58:37 +0100

"Clendenny, Ronald D." <rdclendenny AT CAL.AMEREN DOT COM> writes:
> Larry,
> The comments in the server options file for mvs says that the max value
> is the largest integer.  I have mine set to 16384 and have 94.97% hit
> ratio right now, but it is usually higher.  Around 98%.  Personally, I
> would not hesitate to set this at a huge value and let the paging
> subsystem handle it.  YMMV.
>
> Ron Clendenny

[ADSM v3 r1 l1.2 on Sun Solaris 2.6]

I don't think paging comes into it because the ADSM server requests
locked memory (that can't be paged to disc) so you could only specify
a buffer that is as big as your free real memory.

To this end, I've a buffer pool size of 320,000 on a 512MB machine. It
can grab all this memory at boot time, leaving other processes to
fight for the remaining memory and swap space.

Needless to say, the hit ratio is above 98% :)

Dominic Froud
--
Postmaster/Unix Systems Analyst,
Postmaster/Unix Systems Analyst,