ADSM-L

AW: New in ADSM-World - Problems with the understanding of the ma nagement classes

1998-07-14 04:22:06
Subject: AW: New in ADSM-World - Problems with the understanding of the ma nagement classes
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:22:06 +0200
Katja,
one of the central features in ADSM is "incremental forever". Within the
ADSM server it does not make much sense to force a fullbackup every 180
days. You won't get any further versions of the files on your drives.

I guess, your customer does not see the logical difference between ADSM
and other Backup Products like BackupExec or ARCserve. They simply want
to get a version fixed twice a year so they can access this defined
state without caring about management classes and inactive versions. You
can do this by using the archive option in ADSM. Just define an
additional schedule for this task for each node.
You don't know which drives to backup? Use the option "DOMain all-local"
(Using the Backup Archive Client, Ch.6, page 75, Manual SH26-4078-01) to
get all local volumes backed up. Just get sure that your customer does
set the volume label of each new filespace uniquely on each server. I
recommend using names that are unique in the whole network (e.g. we use
HEBE_C, HEBE_D, HEBE_E... when the servername is HEBE). ADSM cannot
backup drives that have no volume label.

Regards,
Michael Bartl
--
Michael H. Bartl