ADSM-L

Re: Can't get IPX to work

1998-07-09 10:45:54
Subject: Re: Can't get IPX to work
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 10:45:54 -0400
I'm not sure that your IPX address is valid. It must be *exactly* 20 hex digits
in length: an 8-digit ADSM server network address, and a 12-digit node address.
I'm not an expert in IPX/SPX communications, but I think the network address is
the IPX network address of the ADSM server, and the node address is the network
adapter address of the machine the ADSM server is running on (like the MAC on a
token-ring adapter). Each address should be padded with 0's (zeros) to fill it
out to the required length. For example, if your IPX network address is 97198
and your MAC address is 0004AC94C000, then the IPX address needs to be
specified as "000971980004AC94C000".

The NT server utilities can give you the correct IPXSPX address to use. Start
the utilities (the one whose icon looks like a pocket knife), then go to the
server options wizard. Open the options file, then click on the IPX/SPX tab.
This tab has a "Client Settings..." button on it that will show you the IPXSPX
address to use.

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 07/09/98 07:25:27 AM