ADSM-L

Re: EMC's Enterprise Data Manager

1998-07-08 07:03:22
Subject: Re: EMC's Enterprise Data Manager
From: Campbell Esplin <Campbell AT KINGSLEY.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:03:22 +0200
Dan,

Thanks for the comeback.......I think those conversations got mixed up with
the EMC SRDF feature which my customer happens to be a sacred user of. EDM
is supposedly to be used as Enterprise Data Manager providing
backup/recovery of files/partitions/disks (?? not sure which it is)  to a
backup copy on tape.

I will keep u in the picture. Sources remain protected though. I think u
will understand that.

Regards
Campbell Esplin
http://www.excal.co.za

----------
> From: Dan Giles <Dan_Giles AT MANULIFE DOT COM>
> From: Dan Giles <Dan_Giles AT MANULIFE DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: EMC's Enterprise Data Manager
> Date: Tuesday, July 07, 1998 10:58 PM
>
> Hi Campbell.
>
> Please let me know what you dig up. We too are using EMC and ADSM. There
is some
> talk of using EDM, but certainly not as a total solution. I personally am
not
> that familiar with EDM, but I can give you  about 1.4 cents worth of
comments.

> If we do use EDM, it would be for highly critical applications in case of
> Disaster. EDM would mirror the disks partitions. To make it worth while
is a
> disaster, it would get mirrored across the WAN. Unless you have a huge
bandwidth
> on your WAN that's not being used for anything else, you can see what
> restriction #1 is. Also, I believe, since EDM mirrors the partitions, I
do not
> see any way of recovering single files: talk to EMC about this.
>
> Last thing. If you are using EDM to protect a database, then what happens
if the
> application itself destroys or corrupts the data? Then the corruption is
mirrors
> by EDM! Since you have versioning control on ADSM, you can restore the
data from
> a time when you know the data was still good.
>
> These comments are based on pieces of conversations that I picked up with
> collegue that knows a good deal about EMC. If you have specific questions
or
> concerns, let me know and perhaps I can get some answers for you from
him.

> From: Campbell Esplin <Campbell AT KINGSLEY.CO DOT ZA> on 07/06/98 06:00 PM
> GMT
>
> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>
> To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> cc:    (bcc: ADSM)
> Subject:  EMC's Enterprise Data Manager
>

> Folks, give it to me!
> I need all possible arguments to advise my customer on the best approach
> follow. The options are ADSM or EDM (heavy preference held by the
customer
> for the latter). Knowing ADSM and not knowing EDM leaves me somewhat
> flatfooted. Anyone out there that has any experience with EDM, STK
> Libraries, EMC 3440's and the "PIPE" to the dedicated MP processor - good
> or bad -  please, if u don't mind tell me more about it.If u want to keep
> it confidential mail directly to me at the given EMAIL address.
> I sit with 1.7TB on a 3440 EMC disk unit with 5 large NT Servers coupled
> via fiber to the 3440. An EMC controller sucks off the data, apparently,
> whilst the servers are online, off to the dedicated EDM server with the
STK