ADSM-L

Re: EMC's Enterprise Data Manager

1998-07-07 16:58:40
Subject: Re: EMC's Enterprise Data Manager
From: Dan Giles <Dan_Giles AT MANULIFE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 16:58:40 -0400
Hi Campbell.

Please let me know what you dig up. We too are using EMC and ADSM. There is some
talk of using EDM, but certainly not as a total solution. I personally am not
that familiar with EDM, but I can give you  about 1.4 cents worth of comments.

If we do use EDM, it would be for highly critical applications in case of
Disaster. EDM would mirror the disks partitions. To make it worth while is a
disaster, it would get mirrored across the WAN. Unless you have a huge bandwidth
on your WAN that's not being used for anything else, you can see what
restriction #1 is. Also, I believe, since EDM mirrors the partitions, I do not
see any way of recovering single files: talk to EMC about this.

Last thing. If you are using EDM to protect a database, then what happens if the
application itself destroys or corrupts the data? Then the corruption is mirrors
by EDM! Since you have versioning control on ADSM, you can restore the data from
a time when you know the data was still good.

These comments are based on pieces of conversations that I picked up with a
collegue that knows a good deal about EMC. If you have specific questions or
concerns, let me know and perhaps I can get some answers for you from him.