ADSM-L

Re: SSA Raid arrays

1998-07-06 16:40:03
Subject: Re: SSA Raid arrays
From: Matt Cleland <adsmrus AT STLNET DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 15:40:03 -0500
Hi Trevor:

To my knowledge, with the SSA RAID-5 arrays you are able to configure
anywhere from
2+P up to 15+P in the same RAID-5 group.  Keep in mind that you are still
only
protected from a single disk failure, since there is a single parity disk.
I believe that increasing the number of data disks in the group will
probably
decrease performance, since every transaction to the RAID group will require
more physical I/Os. You won't get any additional protection, either.
The best thing to do is to configure 1 or more SSA Hot Spare drives on the
adapter.  That way you can be assured that if a disk fails in the RAID
group,
you will have the Hot Spare take over immediately, reducing the window that
you are exposed to a second failure.  Then remember to replace the failed
disk
ASAP!

Thanks!

Matt Cleland                            mcleland AT msiinet DOT com
Matt Cleland                            mcleland AT msiinet DOT com
Midland Systems, Inc.                   (618) 345-0864
St. Louis, MO                           (618) 346-1779 FAX