ADSM-L

Re: DB2 Backup and Expiration

1998-07-05 11:21:19
Subject: Re: DB2 Backup and Expiration
From: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf AT DESSUS DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 11:21:19 -0400
In other words, it is a "Lights On" operation designed by someone who has no
idea why one would want to back up a Database into ADSM ... sort of a
half-assed no-thought ill-conceived attempt at "integration".

They didn't even spend time on "pretty graphics" showing your old backups
bursting into flames when you discard them ... definitely no more than a
twenty minute hack job ... (a mandatory Lotus / Microsoft innovation, even
if the "discard" does not really do anything except make the pretty graphic
run)

Of course, you can manually "fiddle" with it so that the "backups" become
"archives" in which case you can convince ADSM to automatically delete them.
In the case of the online database dumps, you need to be handy editing the
load module for this to work.  Of course, getting the brain-dead
programmers' to fix the problem at the source (and the ADSM/DB2 interface
has not changed or improved in any way since this was first introduced 7
releases of DB2 ago) would be prefereable -- it is not, however, very likely
(especially since IBM has been TOLD numerous times how to fix it so it will
be useful, automatic (ie, lights out) and reliable.  However, like adding
advanced features to DB2 (such as stored procedures), IBM has demonstrated
in the past that such features will only be added once their customers have
abandoned the IBM product in favour of the more advanced competition --
because IBM believes all its customers are too stupid to learn anything new.

Backing up DB2 data into ADSM is not an "IBM Approved" place to store your
DB2 backup, it is only supported for "Glossy Brochure" purposes, and not
because it is implemented in a useful fashion.

Bear in mind that this uselessness is entirely a DB2 problem and *not* an
ADSM problem.  ADSM is operating properly within the brain-dead constraints
and parameters being set by the DB2 API interface.